I have been fighting with ActiveSync (on my home XP box) and SyncCenter (on my work vista box) for the last couple of week. Couldn’t sync my Dell x51v PDA with any of them. Was driving me nuts. Tried all kinds of … crap.
So I decided to try a home brewed Windows Mobile 6 rom. And it works! No wifi problems. I tried to do a back up and restore, but that soon got to messy, and I’ve decided re-install everything from the top. Only thing is that, most of my programs where registered so long ago, that it may be hard to find a version to download. On the other hand, maybe it’s time to upgrade to a new (WM6 compatible) version.
Anyway. I’ll try to report back when I’ve tried it a few more days. And a big thank you to “football” and the people at xda-developers. And a big F… you to Dell for not providing this.
P.S. (one month later): Well, it works, and I’ve no real issues, except that it take a bit longer to turn on – 10-15 seconds of non-responsiveness, which can be very annoying. It’s only an issue if I leave wifi on and Opera running, when I turn if off, so it’s a fairly easy workaround to just close wifi and opera before I turn it off. Oh, and sometimes I have to turn wifi off and on, for it connect, and it needs the Odyssey client to do WPA connections.