I’ll use this blog item to note the issues I have with my i780. Not that expect to have a lot of issues, but everything has it’s quirks and the i780 will be no difference. I already anticipage far bigger lists than this one, of programs that does not (or does) work with the 320*320 screen.
Charging over USB wire
I left the charger at work, when I went home the day I got it, only bringing the USB cable with me. I attach the cable when I get home and set up the sync. And leave the phone in for maybe a couple of hours. I use it moderady. Then I notice a strange thing – it says the battery is charging, but it really isn’t. It stays at about 60%.
I hunt down the relevant USB device in [Start menu]->[Right click, My Computer]->[Manage]->[Device Manager]->[Universal Serial Bus controllers]… somewhere. And the i780 is only drawing 100mA from the USB hub it’s attached to.
I don’t spend any more time on it, but also notice that it never really shuts down, even if it’s set up to do that even when on external power. Running with backlit on and everything could probably make it use around 100mA…
Now I installed the game Kevtris – which managed to get stock in state where the taskmanager couldn’t kill it. So I reset my i780 for the first time.
Shortly after that I ran out of battery, and attached it the USB Cable. And when I came back half an hour later, the screen was black, and after a keypress I could see that the battery had gone from 20% to 40%! I promptly checked the USB Power usage and it’s at 500mA! It’s charging.
Not sure what did it, but it was probably the reset (reset hole on the side, kind of reset). So if you need to charge over the USB Cable and nothing happens, try reseting. Remember to close down all programs first (hold down the OK button for a few seconds, then select “Close All”).
Please note that turning on the device while attached means that it will draw no power at all! Until you detach and then re-attach it – then it draws 500mA.
Software with issues
– Kevtris 2.0 – more or less crashed while I tried to browse the pre-game menu. Had to reset to make it go away.
– claunch 12.04 – Wonderful program that I used on my x51v, but the set-up dialog-boxs are to big on the i780, making it impossible to click any on the buttons. I’ve contacted the author of cLaunch and asked him about it…
– QMAIL 3.0.4 – Mostly works, small issues with the setup dialog boxes. Crashes when the phone goes out of hibernation (or standby or whatever it state it takes when it’s ready to take calls, but aren’t really on), when run from storage. Doesn’t crash when run from the internal memory (\program files\)
Software nearly that works
– Vade Mecum – Plucker reader. Has small issues with the add/remove buttons in the setup, but that’s it.
– Magic Button – My favourite task manager which makes the close button actually close applications. Seens to compress the icons in the start bar a bit, and display the phone application as a blank icon. Usable.
Software that works
– Google Map – Mapping and gps.
– Cantris – Tetris clone
– S2U2 – Cool iphone like keyboard/phone locker (similar to holding down the red lock button). I wanted something that would tell me the time while the phone was locked. I used the “button” application to associate it with the “Message hold” button, as I couldn’t reprogram the “real” lock button. Anybody?
I’ll do a running update of this page…